This briefing provides general background information on the Education Review Office (ERO). The purpose is to provide a summary description of ERO’s role and functions and give the new Minister sufficient information to meet initial requirements.
The briefing is structured so that it outlines ERO’s:
- role and responsibilities, including its legislative basis and scope of reviews;
- strategic direction and medium term initiatives;
- sector findings and emerging issues;
- relationships with other agencies;
- organisation structure and people;
- review methodology; and
- output classes and expenses.
Further details regarding ERO’s statutory powers and a list of recent national education evaluation reports are attached as appendices.