ERO recommends that the New Zealand Teachers Council investigate:
- how well the nature and quality of pre-service training for teaching science in Years 1 to 8 is enabling teachers to build their confidence to effectively teach science.
ERO recommends that the Ministry of Education investigate opportunities for support and ongoing professional learning development for teachers in:
- integrating literacy and numeracy into science teaching and learning
- considering the place of National Standards for achievement in reading, writing and mathematics across all learning areas, including science
- developing an approach to inquiry learning that maintains the integrity of different learning areas, including science.
On the basis of this report ERO recommends that schools review the:
- priority given to science teaching and learning in their curriculum
- quality of science teaching and learning, using the indicators of capable teaching and learning in ERO’s 2010 good practice report.