“Teenage life is about making sure you have a sense of belonging and they need to feel that they have a platform where they can show their own culture and be proud of their identity. If we are missing that element I’m not sure we would be as successful as we are.”
This video illustrates
Domain 4: Responsive curriculum, effective teaching and opportunity to learn
- Effective, culturally responsive pedagogy supports and promotes student learning
- Opportunities are provided for learners to develop their culture, language and identity - it cannot be assumed they have access to avenues for acquiring this knowledge and understanding
- “Knowing yourself as a person and where you’re from, it really helps you build confidence and into what you want to learn and what you want to develop into”
Things to think about
- What opportunities do your students have to develop confidence in their language culture and identity?
- How might you access the expertise needed?