The Modern Learning Environment requires practices and behaviours of both teachers and learners to that optimise the potential of the flexible learning spaces and digital tools.
This video illustrates
Domain 4: Responsive curriculum, effective teaching and opportunity to learn
- Students have effective, sufficient and equitable opportunities to learn
- “We have to be more intentional about getting to know the learner”
- Multiple teachers provides more opportunity for each child to have at least one significant adult
- Learners are deliberately ‘multi-leveled’ and teachers work across year levels
- Teachers typically staying with a cohort for longer than a single year deepens their understanding of each learner
- Digital enablement requires teachers to move to be “that provocateur, that person who helps to shift knowing to deep levels of understanding”
Things to think about
- What are the elements of ‘knowing the learner’?
- Are there steps could we take to deepen our knowledge?
This video was first commissioned by the Ministry of Education. For more on Stonefields School, visit their website.