Concerns and complaints

ERO is committed to providing high quality services.

We want to know how well we work with schools and early childhood services and how we can improve. We also want to better understand how our review process affects schools and services.

If you are dissatisfied with your experience with ERO, please let us know. We respond to complaints promptly and treat everyone with courtesy, respect and fairness.

What is a complaint?

A complaint is an expression of dissatisfaction with your experience with ERO. It could be in relation to:

  • the way ERO staff have followed ERO policies or procedures
  • delays in responding to you
  • standards of service
  • the behaviour of ERO staff.

Resolving your complaint

You can express a concern or make a complaint at any time during or after the review.

It can be helpful to talk through your concern or complaint first. If you want to speak to us, call your nearest ERO office and ask to speak to a Manager Review and Improvement Services or Regional Director. We will listen to your concerns and take notes. You may then decide to follow up with a written complaint.

If you are submitting a written complaint, please include:

  • your full name and address
  • as much information as you can about what has gone wrong
  • what you would like us to do to resolve the matter.

Written complaints should be sent to a Manager Review and Improvement Services or Regional Director.

We aim to:

  • confirm we have received your complaint within five working days
  • tell you who is handling your complaint
  • follow up your complaint promptly and fairly
  • tell you and explain if we cannot respond promptly.

If your complaint is not about a review but is to do with another aspect of ERO’s work, please email

We cannot comment on personal employment matters that relate to an individual.

What if I am unhappy with ERO’s response to my complaint?

If you are not satisfied with ERO’s response to your complaint, you have the right of review. We will explain this process and the further steps you can take in our response. You can also contact the Office of the Privacy Commissioner or Office of the Ombudsman.

Complaining about a school or an early childhood service?

If you have a complaint about a school or early childhood education service, you should first contact the principal/chairperson or service manager and:

  • ask for a copy of the school’s or service’s complaints policy and procedures
  • follow the procedures for making a complaint.

If you are not satisfied with the process for dealing with your complaint you could contact your nearest Ministry of Education office.

Your privacy

Any information provided to ERO or released to any party is treated in accordance with the Privacy Act 1993 and the Official Information Act 1982. Click the links below for more information.