The Government and Pacific communities require a significant improvement in the way schools respond to Pacific students. To make a collective impact nationally, ERO recommends that school leaders:
- improve how they analyse and respond to information about Pacific students’ presence, achievement and progress
- review the extent to which their school’s curriculum responds to the various needs and interests of their Pacific students
- become familiar with the Pasifika Education Plan and use the goals to assist with determining school priorities for raising Pacific students’ achievement
- build teachers’ and boards’ knowledge of Pacific students, and determine how best to use this knowledge in learning programmes that reflect Pacific students’ voices and aspects of culture, language and identity relevant to their learning
- strengthen links with Pacific parents and communities to facilitate communication, and build mutual understanding about the best ways to support student learning.