ERO recommends that the Ministry of Education uses the findings of this report:
- to further investigate how services might be expected to report on the conduct and competence of staff who are not registered teachers
- to provide further guidance to services about managing complaints about staff
- to provide guidance about good employment practices to services, particularly for those that are not part of an umbrella association or organisation.
ERO recommends that early childhood services use the findings of this report to review their:
- policies and practices for managing and developing staff, especially in relation to the appointment of staff
- policies for managing complaints about staff to ensure they have clear processes to follow depending on the nature of the complaint
- appraisal process to strengthen the links with the RTC, the service’s vision and strategic goals, and the provision of ongoing professional development
- procedures for police vetting to ensure requirements are met.