On the basis of this report, school staff should:
- use the report’s findings, case studies, self-review questions and inclusive teaching indicators to review the extent to which students with high needs are included across the school; and
- identify where students are not well included and implement a plan to extend the effective practice already in the school.
On the basis of this report, the Ministry of Education should:
- build school-wide capability to support effective teaching for all students by extending effective evidence-based whole-of-school professional development programmes;
- review how well principal training and support fosters leadership for inclusive schools;
- consider, as part of the special education review, how effective mainstream schools, special schools, Group Special Education and Resource Teachers: Learning and Behaviour can work together to improve the level of inclusion in New Zealand schools.