ERO recommends that the Ministry of Education reviews:
- how it works with all services to facilitate processes for services making referrals and seeking funding
- the provision of education support workers (ESWs).
ERO recommends that managers and educators of early childhood improve their:
- shared understanding of inclusion
- knowledge of appropriate strategies for including children with special needs
- shared understanding of pedagogy so adaptations to programmes are appropriate.
ERO recommends that managers also undertake self review of outcomes of programmes for children with special needs, and in particular focus on:
- recording processes, including those for individual education or development plans
- reviewing individual education or development plan outcomes
- expanding educators’ understanding of inclusion through professional development and learning.