ERO recommends leaders and kaiako in early learning services use the findings of this report as a catalyst to:
- engage more deeply with Te Whāriki to build a shared understanding of expectations for reviewing and designing their local curriculum
- undertake more considered review and alignment of their philosophy with Te Whāriki
- unpack and discuss the learning outcomes in Te Whāriki and consider their impact on curriculum design, assessment, planning and evaluation processes
- evaluate their preparedness in implementing Te Whāriki and identify next steps and priorities
- engage in more collaborative internal and external PLD to strengthen understanding, practice, and pedagogy in implementing Te Whāriki.
External PLD needs to focus on working with learning outcomes and supporting leaders and kaiako to review and design their local curriculum.
ERO is currently revising its indicators for evaluating centre-based early childhood services. At the core of these indicators is the learner and their learning. The indicators have been developed to closely align to the learning outcomes and expectations set out in Te Whāriki.