The following evaluation questions provided the framework for both The Collection and Use of Assessment Information in Schools and Collection and Use of Student Assessment Information: Good Practice in Primary Schools.
- How effectively does the school develop and implement an integrated school‑wide approach to assessment practices and information?
- How effectively does assessment information demonstrate students’ achievements and progress?
- How effective is the interaction of assessment with teaching and learning?
- How effectively do students use information about their achievement for further learning?
- How effectively is school-wide information established and used to improve student achievement?
- How effectively is information about students’ achievements reported to the community?
Schools in this study
For this study, ERO selected schools of a variety of roll sizes and deciles located across New Zealand. The majority of schools were small and medium-sized urban schools. The schools were able to demonstrate effective practice in the collection and use of assessment information.