ERO recommends schools:
- review and improve how well their school’s vision and values align with the NZC and are implemented in practice
- review and improve how well the principles, values, and key competencies from NZC are addressed in their senior curriculum
- review and improve the balance between monitoring students’ achievement and improving teaching to make sure all students are engaged and succeeding
- reduce barriers that limit students’ access to courses they need to succeed in their chosen career pathways, such as streaming and restrictive timetabling
- ensure careers education and advice are at the forefront of curriculum planning and contribute to responsive pathways for students
- ensure students have ready access to careers education and advice.
ERO recommends the Ministry of Education:
- update Senior Curriculum Guidelines
- support teachers to understand the intent of the standards and to write assessment tasks that highlight their students’ learning
- develop ways to help schools and communities understand success as a learner in terms of deep learning, wellbeing and qualifications
- review its processes for PLD provision to extend beyond target student groups and Communities of Learning to provide centralised support to raise teacher capability in implementation of the NZC and promoting learning in Innovative Learning Environments
- work with universities to reduce the negative impacts of their demands on secondary schools’ curriculum
- ensure teachers and students quickly know and understand the standards for assessment of the new Digital Technologies & Hangarau Matihiko Curriculum
- review how well standards reflect the NZC Achievement Objectives.
ERO recommends NZQA:
- support moderators’ confidence with new types of assessment tasks across multiple standards.