Clauses 1-5 of this Gazette Notice published in September 2008 signalling the requirement to implement the Early Childhood Education Framework are set out below.
Education (Early Childhood Education Curriculum Framework) Notice 2008
Pursuant to section 314 of the Education Act 1989 (as amended by the Education Amendment Act 2006), the Minister of Education gives the following notice:
- Title and commencement –
- (1) This notice may be cited as the Education (Early Childhood Education Curriculum Framework) Notice 2008.
- (2) This notice shall come into force on 1 December 2008.
- Early Childhood Education Curriculum Framework (‘Curriculum Framework’) as set out in clause 6 of this notice is the Curriculum Framework prescribed for all licensed early childhood education and care services and certificated playgroups in accordance with section 314 of the Education Act 1989.
- Every service provider for a licensed early childhood education and care service or certificated playgroup must implement the Curriculum Framework in accordance with the requirements (if any) prescribed in regulations made under Part 26 of the Education Act 1989.
- Licensed early childhood education and care services and certificated playgroups must implement the Principles and the Strands, and can opt to use either the English or the te reo Māori versions set out in Part A or Part B of clause 6, or both. Kōhanga reo affiliated with Te Kōhanga Reo National Trust must implement Part C of clause 6.
- The purpose of the Curriculum Framework is to provide the basis and context underpinning specific curriculum regulatory requirements in the Education (Early Childhood Services) Regulations 2008 or the Education (Playgroups) Regulations 2008 relating to the standards of education and care and to the associated curriculum criteria.
- The wording for Clause 6 (the full wording of the Curriculum Framework) can be read at: http://www.education.govt.nz/early-childhood/teaching-and-learning/ece-curriculum/