ERO recommends that school leaders:
- continue to improve teachers’ confidence in using information from a range of sources to make overall judgements about students’ progress and achievement against the National Standards in reading, writing and mathematics
- improve the scope and quality of information reported to boards of trustees about students’ progress and achievement against the National Standards, to ensure targets are appropriate and contribute to decision-making, particularly for students needing additional support
- increase opportunities for students to understand their learning in relation to the National Standards, set goals to improve their progress and achievement, and identify their next steps for learning.
ERO recommends that the Ministry of Education:
- provides more guidance to schools in relation to what reporting to students about their progress and achievement against the National Standards involves, particularly in the context of existing formative assessment/assessment for learning practice
- promotes opportunities for discussion about the National Standards and associated moderation through existing or newly developed school cluster arrangements.